Welcome to Rocket Excel!
RocketExcel is a free online Excel tutorial that allows you the flexibility of learning Excel at your own pace. Cover the whole course or just review specific posts, explore each topic in depth or just look through the highlights. Take our Excel quizzes to solidify your learnings from each section.
Structured and in-depth material helps you focus your learning
Real-life examples with detailed steps included in every post
Quizzes will test your knowledge and remind key learnings
- Introduction to Excel. You will get high-level knowledge of what is Microsoft Excel, what it is used for, and also look through a quick example of how Excel can help you in your everyday life.
- Excel workbook. This post will explain what is an Excel workbook and what its key elements are. You will also learn how to perform some basic operations with a workbook, like creating a new workbook, saving or opening it.
- Excel worksheet. You will learn what is an Excel worksheet and how to perform some basic tasks with worksheets: selecting worksheets, creating a new worksheet, renaming, copying, and moving a worksheet.
- Excel cells. This part explains what is a cell in Excel and different ways to select cells, including selecting multiple cells – or ranges. This knowledge will be crucial when we start learning about Excel formulas and functions in the next module. A separate post will explain how to merge cells in Excel
- How to add cells. This is a transition to the next module, where you would learn how to write formulas in Excel. You will learn at least four different ways to add values in Excel, including two involving your first Excel formulas
- Introduction to Excel formulas. Definition of Excel formulas and Excel functions. The short list of most frequently used Excel functions: SUM, COUNT, SUMIFS, IF, MIN, MAX, VLOOKUP, and basic arithmetic operators. Some of these functions are also explained in more detail later.
- Logical functions. This post will explain the overall functionality of logical functions in Excel, as well as describe some most popular logical functions: IF, AND, OR, NOT.
- String functions. You will learn how to manipulate text strings in Excel with some most basic string functions: CONCATENATE, LEFT, RIGHT, LEN. A separate post explains how to use TEXT function to convert any values to text
- Other helpful functions. Some other useful functions will be explained here. For example, ISNA function will be very helpful when working with VLOOKUP and similar functions.
- Conditional formatting. You will learn what is conditional formatting and how to use it for different analytical goals you might have. Also, separate posts will introduce you to:
- Preset conditional formatting commands. The easiest way to use conditional formatting in your work
- Conditional formatting rules. Expand the functionality of preset commands to create customized rules and formatting patterns
- Conditional formatting formulas. Learn how to create conditional formatting based on another cell(s)
- Pivot tables. This part will explain what is a pivot table and what pivot tables are used for. A quick example will explain how to create your first pivot table in Excel
What is an Excel pivot table and how to create one. Brief introduction to the concept with description, quick example, and step-by-step instructionsread more
Introduction to the most basic Excel string functions: CONCATENATE, LEFT, RIGHT, and LEN. Definition, syntax, quick examples, and step-by-step instructions.read more
Introduction to logical functions in Excel: IF, AND, OR, and NOT. Description, potential uses, step-by-step instructions, quick examplesread more
The list of 7 most useful Excel formulas and functions: introduction to Excel formulas and functions, definition, step-by-step instructions, screenshotsread more
Detailed explanation of how to add cells in Excel, including both most popular methods and some additional tips like using Quick Analysis or Excel Status barread more
Description of a cell in Excel and basic methods for selecting cells: selecting a single cell, multiple cells, rectangular cell areasread more
Quick introduction to the concept of Excel worksheet: definition; key elements; selecting and renaming; copying and creating a worksheetread more
Brief introduction to the concept of an Excel workbook: workbook definition, creating a new workbook, saving and opening Excel workbooksread more
Explanation of what is Microsoft Excel, including the description of major ways to use it, why it might be helpful, and a quick exampleread more
Easy steps for using Excel ISNA function if you want to catch #N/A errors in VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, LOOKUP, or MATCH formulas. Different types of #N/A errorsread more